living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Monday, December 19, 2005

being got and climbing mountains

First, I was got: MFCB. Check it out. All domestication points to this.

So on Friday my friend Katie from Illuminate calls and invites me on a Saturday snowshoeing adventure. Now I had heard from our mutual friend Danny "d-lish" Lund that Katie was rather hardcore, but if Danny can do it, so can I! So on Saturday morning, I met her and three other buddies (Jay, Jason and Claudia) up in Bellevue. Katie, nicest person in America, had rented me snowshoes the night before, and also had the hookups of hiking boots and mittens...so in the midst of a fun getting-to-know-you drive on the I-90, we finally arrived at our little snowshoe destination unknown. We saddle up...we start "shoeing" along the trail, hoping to say "HAPPY SHOE" to some lucky passerby. Now to paint a picture, 3 minutes have gone by, and I'm ALREADY huffing and puffing. Already my butt is en process of kickage, if you know what I mean....I could blame it on having been sick and therefore not working out, or a plethora of other excuses, but the bottom line was that I was getting WORKED minutes into our day! Another 30 seconds pass by, and Katie looks to her right: there's a mountain. Well, since we want to get to the top of that mountain, why don't we just climb up its side? SO UP THE SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN WE START TRAVERSING. In backpacking, I'm not a huge fan of switchbacks...and here we are making our way through dense forest, scattering snowshoe tracks here and there. 3 hours later we make it to summit and devour granola bars (that's the funny thing about nature...you work so hard, and then simply reward yourself with a little taste of nutty/grainy/horsefood goodness).

But the best part was yet to come: we took the trail part of the way down, but poles and all, on the way down you just FLY! Katie reminded me of the fine balance between toes and heels (think snowboarding...dear god, that's a whole nother story), when much to my chagrin, I ended up faceplanting one too many times. But it's rad: pretty soon you realize that you're just LEAPING down the side of the mountain - working the quads, the calves, the shoulders - hoping to not step too close to a tree or else the ground gives way and hole-age sets in. So good.

That night (and perhaps THIS is the best part), I got home around 5, took a shower, and sat down on the couch...I proceeded to not LEAVE that couch for another 5 hours. Granted, the social life was disgraced, but there was NO WAY I was leaving that position. All plans were canceled for the night, and instead I watched "The Mighty" (so good!), and got some reading done. In a way it's freeing being able to simply "be" and rest, even when the back of your mind screams LOSER!!! for the mere mention of a particular socially-dignified day.

Home Alone II is on in the backgound. Sometimes, once every 10 years or so, you just need to watch our favorite little screamer again. I just ate some Carrie corn and drank some red wine. I'm in process of addressing the Christmas newsletter....comment me if you want me to send you one.

Christmas cheer! cara:)

1 comments:

Thegoodz said...

Wish I could have seen that...
I look forward to seeing you soon.

Sg