living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Friday, December 16, 2005

a story of domestication...a story of a little tweener


So the saga continues: I don't know if it's a bad domestication attitude, but two days in a row now, it's been the thorn in my side. Yesterday afternoon I had a high school girl over to hang out; as I poured Christal a hot bevvie, I suddenly had the GREAT idea to bake some cookies as well. (I've learned that having cookie dough on hand is an excellent addition to the fridge). Well, I pop four cute cookies on the bottom rack (mind you, who needs a baking sheet for a toaster oven anyway?), and 10 minutes later head to MFTO (my-first-toaster-oven) to check on the little buggers. Smoke, steam, and burned-on-the-bottom but mushy-on-top cookies awaited me. So I put the pan outside in the cold, and loved when, half an hour later, Christy (friend upstairs) saw the delectable treats, ate (the top) of one and thought they were the best things she'd tasted in awhile. So she took all four. :)

Still a little sick, this morning I decided to save money and make my own coffee...I put the coffee grinds in and a bit of water, too... I come by a few minutes later and the coffee's still not ready yet. I do a load of laundry, and find that even five minutes later, the coffee's still barely drip-drip-dripping out of its little spout. Finally, risking all, I open up the top, and find that I've poured the water into the same place as the grounds! What the?! Who am I? Now it's not the toaster oven that's steaming, but the coffee pot is hissing and whoozing all over the place. Needless to say, I probably ruined my coffee pot, and ended up just stopping by one of the five drive-thru coffee stands in five blocks on my way to work for a white chocolate americano with room instead. Hey, I tried. :)

Finally, there's something to be said about 6th graders - god bless their SUCH awkward spot in life...yesterday was a rather chill day in reading class. Corrie, the teacher I work with two days a week, is a kick in the pants...love her, love her show (Jessimoobyera, that's for you). The kids are working on spelling, and she asks them what they'd like for their party on Monday. "Ooooooooh, I want that cinnamon white choc-o-late mocha that she [point to me] brought in one day!!!" (Corrie was sick the day I brought her her drink, so I found dixie cups and divided it up among the 15 kids in the class....so maybe coffee addiction is wrong to start at age 11, but they loved it!) Here's where the story gets good: "Well, Tony," Corrie says, "don't you know that drinking coffee stunts your growth? You don't want to start drinking coffee now - you won't get any taller. How tall are you now? 5'5"?" "No man, I'm 5'3", but that's a good height. I DRINK COFFEE BECAUSE BEING SHORT IS SEXY." Hello, little 6th grade friend, that was NOT what I was expecting to hear! Nonetheless, 15 minutes later, we're still quasi-picking on little Tony guy: "Tony, you know we're just picking on you." "I know - it's just because I'm sexy." Since when do you tell your teacher (and her cute assistant!) that you're sexy?! Does this new guy (straight from Thailand, mind you) even know what "sexy" means, as five minutes before the sexy-saga he's doing the dance from a Disney flik?

Finally, I end it on this kid quote as well. In filling out the spelling words, little Mariana needed to fill in the word "PROUD," so Corrie came up with this sentence: "I'm ______________ to be an American?" (as we both start jamming to the song...) "ABOUT?" Mariana says. Not quite. Love it.

5 comments:

jimz said...

obviously, mariana must be canadian at heart. :)

Mike said...

hey missed you at the Gordon party. 50 people and white elephant gift exchange...

too much fun...

)(( hannah mello ))( said...

amazing. LOVE LOVE the coffee story. needs to be published on tangible page.

caramac said...

james- you and your canadian pride...I hope - just to spite you- that you someday fall in love with an American girl.
Fletchie- LOVED the story on Sarah's blog about your white elephant gift. I was DYING. I can just imagine you, and I just appreciate your humor. Of course, I would have been pissed to receive a bag o' cement, though!
H to the mello- my friends josh and brenda just gave me "my first cookbook, disney family style" today....baby steps in the kitchen. :)

Gibbytron said...

Heck, I drink coffee because being me is sexy...

:)

B-Sexy