living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Oh - C-O


It's snowing at Frontier Ranch. Frontier in Buena Vista, CO, that is...it's seriously a Narnian winter wonderland. My mind is slightly exhausted, from having been sat in classes day in and day out the past two weeks; we took a life of Christ class last week by a little old man named Dale Bruener who doubled as the modern day Luther. This week Chap Clark, author of HURT (excellent book on the world of kids today), taught a class on Adolescent Culture....I wish my mind wasn't so numb intellectually, my body so tired physically, my heart so -WHEW!- drained emotionally...but it's been really really good. It's hard to sometimes explain what happens in the world of YL, but all I know is that right here, right now, I feel SO set up to succeed. It's been a further confirmation of the fact that I've been CALLED to Auburn Young Life for the present time...I meet people who are in the same spot in life, who uprooted and transplanted themselves from their places of comfort. (ie: California dreamin' comes into the blog picture once again...). I find people who struggle with finding community other than the kids and leaders of Young Life in their respective areas, and I strangely find myself comforted by that. Part of TEAM NORTHWEST - Josh, Joe, Lizzy and I - have taken up permanent residence in "the world below," for classes....we've loved the laid-back atmosphere that allows us to make sarcastic (unheard) comments and the flexibility to lay on the floor or play hangman if need be. What a horrible grad student I am. :) Finally, the last highlight (before another class in 11 minutes) happened a couple days ago: I asked Josh and Joe if they wanted to go on a walk with me. On one condition, they said: if I would ride the mechanical bull. "The mechanical bull?! Stop lying to me!!!" I think was the extent of my response...so an hour later, with my cute little walking outfit on, the three of us and Jessica and Lizzy all trekked up the hill to the entrance of Frontier Ranch. There, in the middle of the horse arena/corral was a real, live mechanical bull. I almost peed my pants seeing that they weren't joking with me....Josh, afraid that I'd fall, hurt myself and cry (thanks Josh) simply shook his head back and forth while the rest of us giddily snorted with glee. Joe was the daredevil of our group, attempting to actually SPIN on the bull....Lizzy looked pretty au natural herself, and, well, I don't think I looked all that cowgirl-ish. But heck ya'll, I tried.
That's it. Class is now in 7 minutes.
It's been a hoot and a holler out here.
I can't wait to write more about it when I'm a little more coherent.....
blessings, cara:)

5 comments:

Dan said...

I just had breakfast with Chap in nashville... He is very smart and nice fellow.....

Gibbytron said...

Dale Bruner! I took a class on Matthew's Gospel his last semester at Whitworth before he retired! Indeed, a funny sweet little old man. Presbyterian power baby!

"Rivet" Kroeker said...

Hey, Cara. It's been a while, it's been fun to see what you've been up to lately. I was glad to see you are still in the ministry or at least in training still (although, we never quite training i guess) I'm doing well, still teaching at a high school, have 2 kids (Riley 2, and Davis 9 mo.) and basically just trying to live day by day for God. Hang in there with all the school stuff, and if you need a mental break, just remember the days we were all swing'n from the trees. Take care. Rivet.

caramac said...

Dan: he is smart and nice and lives ony half an hour away from me so I'd like to be his friend...
Bennett: CRAZY!! I forgot he taught at Whitworth before moving down to socal. He's definitely stoked on his Presbyterian-lovin'.
Rivet...love it...so good hearing from you. Say hi to your wife!

Mike said...

hey i sent you a card and it came back. are you sure that addy is right?




my word verification is "hoculugi"

so i did.