Sunday, June 18, 2006
This is Dan. He's my dad. Today is Father's Day, and for some of us it brings up happy emotions and memories; for others of us it's a day of frustration and sadness. Whatever it is for you, here are 10 things danny mac taught caramac...
10. How to smoke cigars, preferably while lounging on a back porch.
9. A love for words: he's still up on the crossword puzzle everyday! (And friends, writing in pencil is not an option - it's a sin. Pull out the pen and be hardcore).
8. A love of quality television programming like COPS: HUH! Cops is filmed on location with the men and women of law enforcement; all suspects are innocent until proven guilty in the court of law...
7. That even when you lose someone's $200 binoculars while camping, forgiveness is still possible.
6. That you can never hold on tight enough while Dad's driving the motorcycle.
4. That taking the scenic route, and stopping to observe every highway, bridge and road barrier in the state of Oregon is necessary when you're the daughter of a civil engineer.
3. The art of storytelling, especially when it comes to making people laugh!
2. MUSIC. Man, he always encouraged plunking on the piano, even when a barely recognizable song like "Hot Cross Buns" came out.
And the number one reason (Oh! I'm thinking of so many now!) is....
1. That being supportive of a child's decisions and choices in life is the best thing a parent can do or give that child. To be believed in, to feel like a million bucks, and to be supported and loved through college major changes and job/career changes and everything else under the sun is all that's necessary to survive and thrive.