living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

i like nuns.

here posts some pics of my time with the nuns yesterday and monday....

The nuns raise rare animal breeds, including "hairy coos", aka: Scottish Highland Cows. This is Liam, whom we affectionately named EWOK, who's about 4 weeks old...

Christmas card '06 preview! Mr. Darcy and I at the edge of Shaw Islands in the San Juans....

We met a lady! ...er, a Baronness in the British Parliament. This is Janet, a regular at the monastery, who also fell in love with Mr. Darcy. I really don't think I'd have friends if it weren't for this pup. But in all seriousness, Janet is the equivolent of a US Senator in England; she's been in politics for ages (running and serving in what we'd call the House), but is now appointed for LIFE to her current position. I loved discussing British and US politics over tea with her!

After picking carrots, Lizzy nearly got attacked by the herd of llamas. Fight for your life, lizard!

And now for my favorite picture of them all...

When (one of the) Mothers introduced herself to me, I responded with telling her my name: Cara. "Really?" she asked. "Yes....." "Oh, okay then." Here I begin feeling a little worried...if a nun doesn't approve of my name, how am I going to do with Jesus? "Is that bad?" "Well, no - it's just that we have a cow named Cara. Her full name is Cara Mia, but we call her Cara for short." What the COW!?!!! So here I am with Cara the cow...maybe THIS should be the Christmas card. :)

So did we get solitude time? Yes. Was it different than we expected? Yes. These are Benedictine nuns, so they follow a sect (order?) of work and prayer. These ladies have dedicated - consecrated! - their lives to God, so in between praying 8 times a day, they also run and work on their farm. We "paid" part of our stay by working as well, bailing hay, picking vegetables, feeding cows named Cara...yet what a joy it was! We also attended a Vespers (evening) service and Mass in the morning, and then got "down time" and were fed meals by the ladies as well.

Will I be joining the ladies any time soon in full-time nun-ship? No way, Jose....but I will be visiting my friend Cara again.

happy thanksgiving....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss nuns. I miss Cara. :)

hollyannfail said...

i am so glad it was a good time!! we must talk soon...