living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Friday, April 06, 2007

an intersection of souls

Tonite we did a wyldlife field trip of sorts, and we went to this thing called JOURNEY at Grace (Community Church), and then to DQ afterwards. A couple of the boys came solely for the free Dairy Queen I promised them, but hey, you take what you can get. Meanwhile, the JOURNEY was one of those real-live Jerusalem/life of Jesus/significance of the cross reinactments with marketplace times interspursed throughout the loooooooong intermissions. (And I got to haggle and bargain and barter like my Tijiana-hassler self likes to do....though they definitely had a set price of how low-they-could-go...).

And in part III, as I sat next to Kevin, an 8th grader, I came face to face with experiencing the cross of Christ all over for the first time. Here were some of his comments:

What the heck?

Is this how he got hung?

Man! This is messed up!

Man! This is jacked up!

No! Crucify them! (he shouted back to the Sanhedrin).

So that's how Jesus died?

Why?

That's not fair!

And as he started to ask a question about what all this talk about SIN was all about, I also began noticing the woman sitting in front of me. She had slowly morphed from one of annoyance and anger at the 14 year old sitting behind her, to one of weeping and sadness and maybe gladness too. And instead of turning around to glare at Kevin again or to shush him, with tears streaming down her face, she began to explain to Kevin what that sin WAS all about...and she talked about how Jesus had to do that in order that we might have eternal life.

I sat there wondering how, in middle school language I could dissect her big Christian words, but then I realized that that wasn't the point...and that in that very moment, I knew the woman had met Jesus again...and I had seen Jesus again...and Kevin was seeing Jesus for the first time. And it was beautiful.

May we remember who and what and why we celebrate this Easter season. blessings, chm.

3 comments:

james said...

He is Risen! Rejoice!

Anonymous said...

CHM, thanks for sharing about what Jesus taught you at Good friday service. I love middle school students and how they think. sweet stuff!
happy resurrection sunday friend, aha

E&K said...

Thanks for that post. It is good to see Jesus all over again for the first time. I've been able to experience that on very simplistic terms with Molly. It has been so good for me to see Jesus through the fresh perspective of a three-year-old!

Ky