living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

I spy, dot dot dot

1. this was my favorite response from an email to our YL leaders today in which I used the word, "viz".

him: I've never heard the expression "viz." Is it newer or older?

me: "viz" is a cara-ism for VISION....I don't know if it's new, or old, or just nothing, ie: ME! Feel free to start spreading the love and using the word, though. :)

That's right! I might be hip and cool with the lingo! love it. :)

2. Today I received 2 emails from a man I've never met who ended every email with an ellipsis: "...". Now, if you look in the above writing, I frequently use the "...". It communicates a thought that hasn't quite morphed into finishing yet. It is still yet to be completed. But there's a "but" in this sentence: you have to win the right to use the ellipsis. A relationship must first be established with the person - kindof like using a nickname. No, you can't call me caramac until ___________(fill in the blank)_______. Win the right, win the right. So upon reading the email from a guy I'd never met, the over-use of the ellipsis was just kindof creepy. Yes, you're excited to meet me for lunch, dot dot dot... Do you know what that "..." does to me, though?

hey, I'm serious - but I'm also going to stop right here. welcome to my mind just for a second. :)

2 comments:

Camille said...

Wow, it's been awhile! Sounds like you're happy and doing well, that's faboo. :) I still love that I ran into your mom at my cousin's wedding YEARS ago. Apparently she's a good friend of my Aunt Gwen's! What a small world!

Meagan said...

I know exactly what you mean about winning the right! Ellipses are...well, you already wrote all that needs to be said about them.

On another note, I'd love to pick your brain about being on YL staff. I'm thinking/praying/bothering cool people about it.