living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

a legacy waved good-bye

...I just got done speaking at Frontier Ranch (Mission Springs) for the past week. It was here that "kujo" spent four of her college summers, holding song cards and singing really loud and doing the stomp skit and laughing and speaking and redhatting and doing program and hanging out under the redwoods. I think it's easy for us, as humans to continue to think that the world revolves around, well, us. In my mind, unbeknownst to me at the time or not, the question was always, "what legacy am I going to leave at Frontier Ranch?" Without necessarily realizing it, I continued to ask that question, and it was a good question to ask at the time because it pushed and furthered me to live and love with excellence. Well now, here we are 10 years (!!) since my first summer, and 6 since my last, and I realized that the question had flipped from my own involvement and importance to the opposite: "what legacy is Frontier Ranch going to leave with me?" How did that place change me? How did I leave a better person because of that camp's impact and influence on my life? It was good and natural and fun being back there, but I also laughed because my own glory days are (thankfully!) over. The torch has been passed on - as it should... It (being my own role and heart as well) shouldn't look the same as it did in the beginning. So we move on, in gladness.

---

I find myself today just chillin in SC...love this place - though with purpose I find myself in San Mateo, loving it, I also call this place home.

I'm sore....is it because I walked up the Frontier HIll one too many times? :)

About to finish Paulo Cuehlo's The Devil and Miss Prym. Wow. Again, please read his writings.

That is all...

3 comments:

hannah [[fr] :)) said...

Hey Cara! My name is Hannah and I was at Frontier Ranch last week when you were speaking there! I talked to you a few times and I thought you were hilarious and you were still able to get the message across! i think you were the best speaker that I, personally, have ever seen at Frontier Ranch!

Kristin said...

I really wish I could have heard you speak. Answer me this, did you do the hand motions to For I Am Persuaded?? Tell me it's so.

jenbaum said...

I must say that I did not know you prior to Frontier Ranch... however, I just know - can I give examples??? Perhaps not specific ones, but maybe that's best (maybe that stems from a camp bond).... I KNOW that Frontier Ranch has impacted you and helped to mold you into the Cara-mac that you are.... which, is beauty! And, it has led you to be the influence that you are - (evidence - quote number 1 above) - hence - it was what it needed to be, and now you have a beautiful relationship that just IS. The beauty in what just IS, is that it can change, and still just BE.... beautiful... isn't it???