living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

thank you for not arresting me, mr copper!

The scene: Jackie-friend and I arrive at the church where I office out of to unload some stuff into my office post-moving. While we drive into the parking lot, we notice the security alarm going off. Since my office is in the back and isn't connected to the rest of the system, I make the quick decision NOT to disarm the code (as I hadn't set it off), b/c hey, that might look fishy.

Dun dun dun...

as we're unloading the last of the items Jackie notes that it's good that the cops hadn't gotten there yet b/c we pretty much looked like we were stealing stuff from the church. (A bike here, a bike there...a truck full of stuff...hmmm).

**Sirens**

Oops.

Officer: "Do you work here?"

Me: "Well no, not really. I mean I office out of here."

"Ma'am, I'm going to need to see some identification."

"Okay, hold on..." (CRAP! I think I left my purse at home! I NEVER do this - I swear I always bring ID with me! But on moving day, I mean seriously, am I really going to get pulled over? just my luck...).

"Hey, would you like me to disarm the code?" (me)

"You have access to the building?"

"Yeah."

"Well then, yes. Please." I disarm the code - I mean, I guess I could have done that in the first place, but if there were REAL perpetrators, wouldn't they want to catch them?

"So ma'am, your identification?"

"Yes sir." I walk to my car, though by this point, I know I left my purse at home. I search around for it. Nope. Definitely not there. Definitely at 510 Colgate.

"Yeah, officer...I uh, seem to have left my purse at home."

"You don't have ANY identification on you? what about in your car?"

"this isn't my car."

"whose is it?"

"Our friend's. He let us borrow it to move." I think I see the guy rolling his eyes. At least he hasn't pinned me against the wall and handcuffed me.

"First name.
Last name.
Date of birth."

A pleasant fellow he is.

Long story short, apparently the code just got dinged and set off, happening at just the time we were walking in. No ID, a car that wasn't ours, an alarm that we "promise!" we didn't set off, a truck full of stuff looking like stolen items.

What a day. :)

4 comments:

jenbaum said...

I just peed a little! You always do this to me! I can only imagine... and wish I were there! And, I kind of wish I would have gotten this before today when I was with my family... they would have enjoyed this story as much as the last! Once again, I am glad you are just fine! :)

caramac said...

haha.....I feel like I'm writing for an audience of one: the Baumgarten clan. :) love you!

Anonymous said...

How do you seem to always be the one.....with the gorgeous smile and big, brown eyes...."yes, officer...." Ever been to McBeal Air Force Base?????

Amy said...

That is hillarious! :)It's a good thing you're so stinking cute!