living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

current eclectic reads...

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. I REALLY loved Ethan Frome a few years back, as per a recommendation by classics lover Holly Ann, but I'm having a hard time getting into this one. Perhaps as a bed time read, it's a bit too complicated after a long day...

A Thousand Splendid Suns by the author of The Kite Runner. You know a book is good (ie: book on tape...) when you'd rather hop in your car and hear what's going to happen with Lila and Miriam than make a call on your hands-free cell phone! Well, for me that's a good indicator... Seriously, both of these books are incredibly well-written, and though entirely different from one another, intriguing at best.

Evil and the Justice of God by NT Wright. Apparently the Hoeksemas have a grasp on my reading list [ie: see first paragraph] - besides having taken the NT Wright class in the fall, and now appreciating his thoughts within his popular/layman's books (ie: will I ever read another one of his academia? Dun dun dun...), Andrew helped teach a class at his church on this very subject and book. Though I meant to read it in time to sit studiously under Professor Hoeksema's tutelage, it didn't quite work out, but I'm enjoying chewing through it on my own.

A book on running a marathon ... and the lazy buzzard herself doesn't want to run upstairs to see what the title is called. :)

Finally, every Tuesday morning I head over to Borel Middle School to hang out with my 6th grade buddy James who thinks I'm funny. Yesssss. This morning I covertly snuck him a piece of Bubblemint gum, and we giggled for minutes in the quiet zone of the library. Though it's taken most of the semester, we just finished up Zach's Lie, and began reading through Sparrow Hawk Red this morning. Perhaps reading a book written for 11 year olds will now always be on my list as well...

2 comments:

jenbaum said...

There is a wealth of knowledge in books written for eleven-year-olds... promise! They usually end up on my favorites lists!!! :)

jenbaum said...

PS - I wanna know which marathon book you are reading.... get up and find out, lazy buzzard! :) I am reading one by Hal Higdon and enjoying it.