living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Monday, October 26, 2009

one of those nights...


tonite was one of those nights in ministry that just made sense....and I LOVED it. One of my favorite nights of the year has got to be when we (young life) buy out the menu at Taco Bell and just go for it. Thanks to a generous donor who swiped his credit card for $163.74 at the local TB, bags upon bags of greasy, nasty, processed "Mexican" food were consumed - so that ultimately kids could hear about Jesus. I love that kids showed up who hadn't been to YL before, and even though some sat on the sidelines, ultimately laughed and felt like they belonged. I love the leader who gargled hot sauce for 32 seconds just to be "in" with kids (this was after they gargled "Jingle Bells" with the aforementioned hot sauce for 32 seconds, of course). I love the kids CHOWING down on all the food that was left after being broken up into teams to see who could finish the food first. I love the strangers who walked into this restaurant on the corner of El Camino and 20th and just watched what was going on. I love that Juvy, one of our leaders, talked about the fact that Jesus cares about the heart...that it's the most important part - and that most of those strangers seemed to walk in at 8.47 pm when she was giving the talk. Would the paralyzed man have eaten Taco Bell with Jesus? I think so! I love that two friends of Young Life, Annie and Gilbert, refused to leave before the last kid did, and were determined to leave Taco Bell cleaner than they found it. I love that the Taco Bell employees, though sweaty at the end of the evening, waved good-bye to us and thanked us for being there.

It was a GREAT evening.

yo quero taco bell.

5 comments:

chick said...

ah, good stuff! thanks for sharing -the story, and your heart.

Kevin said...

You're the best Cara!

Alayna said...

i love that you guys got to go to taco bell last night! i am praying for you and the high schoolers!

jenbaum said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! You bless my life so often... I can't imagine if I were so lucky as to be in your presence as often as those youngsters! (Is it sad that I can call them youngsters??? We are gettin' old, my friend... but, that's beside the point!) Nicely done, Ms. Mac... keep bringin' 'em home!

Jason and Jenn said...

thanks for sharing that story. that's great!! love those God stories!!!