living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

man, that's just crazy!

this afternoon a high school buddy and I took a trip to the mall, among other fun n exciting afternoon activities. After stopping by Hotdog on a Stick's $1 Tuesday corn dog specials (of which the future bride did not partake, sad face) and grabbing lemonades instead, we passed by Crate and Barrel.

"Oh, that's where we're registered at!" I said excitedly.

"registered? what does that mean?" So I then began the process of -trying- to explain what it means to register for a wedding:

*it's like your best Christmas present wish list at age 12 come true.
*it's like you tell your mom and dad that you really, really, really want a puppy for your birthday and they actually get it for you.
*it's what people are supposed to do. I mean, it's just what you do. You buy them dinner and invite them to your party, and they bring a present.

As we're then walking through Crate and Barrel, I'm showing Keisa some of our items: "you mean people BUY you this stuff?"

"Yeah!"

"And how much do you have to pay to get this?"

"nothing! people just do it for you! it's the best thing ever!"

"man, that's just crazy!"

Indeed, this whole idea of registering, it's crazy! don't get me wrong - I'm sure back in the day before registries existed there was a use for five Crock Pots, four Betty Crocker cookbooks, and 12 hot plates. But now-a-days, I can technically say I just want one, and I might just get one!

---

In all seriousness, it's been a little overwhelming - in a really, really good way. I know that it's my 'time," and when I attended countless showers and weddings, that it was pure joy to give a gift. it was fun, it was a blessing from me to the person receiving it. But now that it's reversed, I'm having a hard time all the way accepting that this gift is the same....that the same heart desires to give back to me what I've given to them. And that's just weird. That's just a little crazy, as Keisa would say.

But I think i'll be okay with it in the long run. :)

1 comments:

Jason and Jenn said...

Enjoy it! Such a fun season in life!