1. cara loads three large boxes of bubble wrap into james' car (because they ain't gonna fit in the suby).
2. cara drives with a car full of said wedding present bubble wrap all over san mateo county, crossing her fingers that she doesn't back into any unsuspecting vehicles. bubble wrap may be see thru, but it's rather obstructive when it comes to vehicle safety. remember that, children.
3. cara arrives at young life for the evening, and makes the poor leaders unload all the bubble wrap into the auerwecks backyard. it quickly looks like it's been trashed, but no, it's good clean fun!
4. high schoolers arrive, and they're like kids in a candy store. without instruction, they start fashioning bubble wrap mini skirts, butt warmers, tube tops, neckties, vests, hats, etc. Don't leave home without it!
5. we play bubble wrap volleyball. success.
6. we have a bubble wrap fashion show. don't worry, the above outfits were trumped by this load of bubble wrap wedding dresses and space suits.
7. we play STOMP THE BUBBLE WRAP BUBBLES AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN! ...but one smart 11th grader figures out that we're just trying to decrease our waste and calls us on our "pick up the garbage game." he's so smart.
8. with final bubble wrap, we wrap up a couple of new kids and put boxing gloves on them. "Don't aim for the face!" hey, it's young life. we're a punching good time.
9. nate gives a GREAT talk - and meanwhile, we begin to hear sirens.
10. and then yells.
11. And since we're in the backyard, we can hear all of this rather clearly because...
12. a car has been stolen, and the suspect, upon getting cornered, jumped out of the car and RAN!
13. ...into someone's backyard. and this happened right in front of the house. On the same street.
14. There are now 15 cop cars in the neighborhood, so we're told to have everyone go inside. NBD...no big deal. Kids love drama. It's gonna be all over facebook.
15. And I'm sure this looks really good to parents who are picking them up right about now...
WHEW! What a night.
I love my job. :)