living. loving. laughing.

living.  loving.  laughing.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Thunder-shades.


Sunday morning I woke up to what I thought was a migraine, complete with headache and my right eye pulsating in pain, super sensitive to light. By Monday the headache was gone, but the eye was still hurting like it was goin' out of style, and I ended up opting out of Young Life that night because the lights from other drivers' cars were too bright. Hmmm. Then Tuesday I had a meeting down in Los Altos, about an hour away, and in morning traffic had to pull over on the side of the FREEWAY because I kept having to close my eyes while driving.

Seriously Cara, do you think you have super bionic, invincible driving powers?

It was then that I realized that maybe I should get the eyeball checked out - and lo and behold, it was an eye ulcer! Really, it's worse than it sounds. Really, the pain and light sensitivity cleared up by Friday morning, just in time to finish writing my Fuller paper on John 2:1-11. [Side note: I've always been a procrastinator - hey, it's when I do my best work! This time, I thought SURELY I will and can get my paper turned in before its Friday due date. But with the ulcer came an aversion to computer screens and books both, so all 15 pages were pounded out, pain-free from 8.07 am yesterday till 4.39 pm. Ba-bam! Will my procrastination never cease?]

In the meantime, I got to wear these rockin' shades that some of the kids I work with dubbed THUNDER-SHADES. I also got "pimpin'" and "hipster" at one point. One of the best moments of THUNDER-SHADE redemption came Thursday afternoon at one of the local high schools; we do "Young Life" (sans a Christian talk) there once a month, simply building relationships and serving the school. But we still get to do a little inspirational message, so to speak - so I owned the current THUNDER-SHADES situation, complete with the following Judy Garland quote:

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."

That's right! I'm going to be the first-rate, THUNDER-SHADES version of me, you'd better believe it! ...So, with whatever situation is going on in your life, how are you going to own the present circumstances, and just be you, not comparing yourself to others? Own those THUNDER-SHADES, I tell you!

2 comments:

Holly Lynn said...

Those are some stunna-shades. Eye ulcer, ouch!! Glad you are okay!

Patty Brem said...

Way to rock em' CaraMac! You still looked cute!